Where We Are Now
In 2019 we began scouting walking trails in the Kurdistan Regional Governorate (KRG), and key stakeholders have told us a long-distance walking trail is a great idea.
The trail is a work in progress, and there will be opportunities to walk on it in late 2022 and into 2023. To be kept informed of those journeys, and other updates, please sign up to our newsletter.
We’ve been hard at work throughout the pandemic; in the last three years we’ve:
- Scouted nearly 200 km of trail following the Zagros mountains and the Zab River, from the ancient Al Qosh Monastery in the west, to Halgurd Mountain in the east, passing through Akre, the Shanidar Cave, Rwanduz, and other natural, cultural and historical sites
- Established relationships with 36 communities along the trail
- Connected with five homestay host families
- Engaged 10 day-stage hiking guides
- Initiated relationships with seven outdoor clubs representing hundreds of local walkers
You can help us make this happen! Please make a gift today, and let’s walk!